Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Becoming a [Blog] Writer

I've been reading this book "Becoming a Writer" by Dorothea Brande. I got the book for Christmas but I'm just now starting to read it. Actually, taking only six months to get around to reading a book is pretty good for me.

So, this book was actually written in 1934 and is has just recently been republished. It really isn't a "How To" type book obsessed with techniques of character development. The author focuses more on the psyche of the fledgling writer and all the neuroses that these individuals have. When I first started reading the book, I was getting quite excited because it seemed that despite all my hang-ups that I had a chance of eventually breaking through and becoming a writer. The author provides some excersizes which are aimed at unblocking any writer's block and helping the novice writer find thier style.

Then I read the following: "If you fail repeatedly at this exercise, give up writing. Your resistance is actually greater than your desire to write, and you may as well find some other outlet for your energy early as late."

Before I'd read this sentance, I was already thinking that I didn't have to follow the excersize exactly as the author outlined it. The excersize is just too rigid for me and I just can't include it in my life the way she specifies. So, maybe I'm doomed to fail. My enthusiasm has already wained and I haven't picked up the book to continue reading it for a week or so now.

To be a writer or not to be a writer... I guess only will time will tell for sure. It does seem that the forecast is not so good because I struggle just to take time to write a few words on this blog.

I take encouragement from Zhu at Correr Es Mi Destino. Honestly, this isn't just a brown-nosing thing because Zhu always leaves comments on my post. I drop in on Zhu's blog once in a while and I always enjoy myself. That is the true test of a good writer. People coming back for more. Anyway, part of my reason for bringing up Zhu is that she's been doing a series on "How to Blog". I really like it. I also realized that many of her suggestions could be applied to my blog. It's a bit boring, I know. Something else to improve upon.

I will perserve and perhaps one day I will become a [blog] writer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reading, reading and suddenly I was "oh, it's me!" :D I'm a bit slow at night...!

I think one can never truly defines himself as "a writer", "an artist" etc. People decide... you don't. There's no rule involved, just passion.

I think it's important to enjoy what you're doing. I can probably write on about everything because this is my training... I studied literature and spent years producing essays. But I can tell if I wrote something good or if I produced something just average... If I have fun writing it, chances are it will turn out fine.

I see so many people forcing themselves doing things they don't truly like... same goes with blogs. Some people start blog just to make some money and you can notice it really quick.

And thanks for the nice words! I think you should keep on writing if you like it. I always read yours posts (even though you don't write that often) because they just flow right.

So, in a word, anything done with passion is good ;)

Angel of Delusion said...

Thank you Zhu once again for your comment. I think you may be my only reader.

I do like writing on my blog. Sometimes when I'm driving I'll be thinking or talking about something, then I'll think I should write about this on my blog. When I get home where I could actually write a post, I get involved with dinner, a TV show, etc. So, for me is the passion greater than the inertia?