Saturday, June 20, 2009

Complaining

So, I'm really happy to be pregnant and all the ultrasounds show a healthy active baby. So, what is there to complain about? Well, I have Behcet's disease which is an autoimmune disorder that causes all kinds of problems. It's not a big deal when I take the immune suppressing medicine I'm prescribed but I'm not supposed to take any medicine when I'm pregnant. Also, the pregnancy hormones affect the severity of the symptoms. Bottom-line I'm getting hammered. Ulcers through out my digestive tract, bruise-like lesions on my legs, inflamed sinuses and now I have a new symptom of raised itchy bumps on my legs. Since all these symptoms are quite uncomfortable, I'm finding it difficult to sleep and lack of sleep is a contributor to the severity of the Behcet's symptoms.

Last week, I had to be put on a course of steroids because the symptoms got so bad that I thought I might miscarry. Fortunately, after a trip to the emergency room the doctor confirmed that the pregnancy was not in jeopardy. No sooner had I gotten off the steroids that many of the symptoms returned. A couple of days ago, I finally crashed and slept for 11 hours. It felt so good but I still woke up tired.

So, I'm sitting on my couch, still in my pajamas and feeling sorry for myself wondering how in the world am I going to get through the next 6 months of this pregnancy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I' really sorry to hear that! Especially that when it comes to pregnant women, a lot of people wonder if the baby is okay, but tend to forget the mother who is carrying the baby. I assume it can be a bit frustrating, even though I know you are happy to be pregnant, and happy that the baby is doing well! ;)

The symptoms don't seen fun at all... Not much else I can do except to tell you to take care of yourself.

Unknown said...

First of all congratulation for your pregnancy hun! I arrived on your blog randomly and I really liked it! I'm a mum of a little boy called Marlow and I really enjoy reading other mummy stories online. Dont worry it's normal beeing lazy and tired during the pregnancy! Have you picked a name for baby yet? (http://www.bounty.com/babynames/ is great to search for names!) Best of luck sweetie, and I really can't wait for your pregnancy story, let us know how it all goes! Finger and toes crossed for you. J

Angel of Delusion said...

Zhu: A lot of my friends are very supportive of me taking care of myself as well as my baby. However, I haven't shared with them all the details that I put in my post. My husband doesn't work and he is already feeling guilty about me working with all this stuff going on. I'm afraid that if some of my friends knew about all the details, they'd make my husband feel even worse about it. So, this post was my outlet and allowed me to get my complaints off my chest!

Just being sympathetic for me was just what I needed. Thanks!!

Bounty: Thanks for visiting my blog and sorry you caught the complaining post on your first visit. :-} We haven't decided on any names so I'll check out the site you mention. I'm sure there will be more pregnancy related posts in the future. This is such a big part of my life now!