Saturday, September 5, 2009

Back from the Brink

Honestly, I was not as close to the brink as it may have felt to me. This pregnancy has been tiring, painful and filled with fear. I have asked the inevitable but pointless question of "why me" on a number of occasions. The past week or so has been better as judged by the fact that I no longer need to take Tylenol every 4 hours. I'm actually making it a whole 24 hours at a time! I've been hesitant to celebrate for fear that I might jinx myself. I'm not normally superstitious but I figure there is no harm in playing it safe.

With all of that, I have still been able to go to work and manage well enough. Obviously, things like blog writing and reading were not a priority and most evenings I spent lying on the couch recuperating from an exhausting day. Today was probably the most productive day that I have spent at home in the last 5 months. I'm rebuilding my computer (hard drive died), I helped a friend get her computer fixed, I went to the baby store with my husband to look at cribs and I even cleaned up my desk a bit. It made me feel like I had just emerged from a thunderstorm and finally stood in the sun.

It's hard sometimes for me when I'm not feeling well to appreciate that I'm not as bad off as I could be. For some reason, I always focus on what I'm not able to do instead of what I am able to do. Yes, I was able to get up and go to work everyday and be somewhat productive at work. Did I congratulate myself for that accomplishment? No, I felt cheated because I was constantly taking pain killers and patiently listening to co-workers comment on how big I am. I was depressed because I came home and retreated to the couch where I lay night after night watching stupid TV serials because they took my mind off the pain that the pain killers didn't kill (I refused to take the narcotics that my OB prescribed).

Now, if I had been really bad off I would have been taking the narcotics because the severity of the pain would have driven me to it. If I had been really bad off I would have be confined to bed. Above all, I have to thank God every day that our little one is hanging in there and appears to be developing as expected. While I may be hurting, our baby is healthy!

I think my problem is that I focus on what others are able to do. I watched my sister manage a difficult pregnancy while she also took care of her other two children. I remember reading blog posts from women who were raising several children, managing their homes and still posting well-though-out, lengthy posts to their blogs. I quickly came to the realization that I can't compete.

I don't know why I can't do everything that I see others doing. Maybe it's really not that important to me? Maybe I'm just lazy? Maybe my ADD has more of an impact on my life then I want to admit? I watch the high-powered moms in awe and I want to keep up and do what they do but I'm just too tired and I hurt too much.

So, I'm back from the brink and feeling better. Still way too big for being 5 months pregnant and still in a little pain but really much, much better. However, I'm not making any promises to post on a regular basis or to meet the high standard being set by the moms I know. I just hope to continue, as my doctor put it "tolerating it well".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should compare yourself to others, like you said. Everyone has a way of dealing with his/her life... and people who seem to handle everything just fine may not be a perfect as you think.

Good luck with the next 4 months! At the end, you will have a beautiful baby ;)

Angel of Delusion said...

Thanks Zhu! Today, I hosted a brunch meeting of the women's organization of which I'm a part and during our conversation everyone of the ladies complained about the expectation to be perfect. I guess I'm not alone. I think it just feels that way particularly when you are not feeling your best.