Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another Day in Paradise
(The Musical - Scene 1)

You are sitting in a theater on Broadway (of course), the other patrons are slowly making their way to their seats. The lights begin to dim, signaling the start of the show. There is still no rush to settle down and noises of people finding their seats continue as the music begins. Annoyed shushes are ignored as people persisted in chatting and laughing with their companions. The curtains rise and one by one the remaining silhouettes disappear as people finally take their seats.

The music starts slow with a heavy beat that is reminiscent of a funeral march. Not exactly what you expected from a musical called “Another Day in Paradise”. The dimly lit stage enhances the mood of despair created by the music. The stage is set as a series of partitioned work areas common to the modern offices. Faceless workers shuffle on stage muttering what might be words of greeting to each other only without any sincerity. One worker in particular is dressed in long black robes with a hood covering his head. The music swells and the beat picks up. It quickly starts to more resemble a swelling buoyant song that might accompany a dance number. At that moment the robed worker throws off the robes and jumps atop a nearby chair. He belts out the words “It’s just another day in Paradise!”

“Life is grand, when you’re in command!”
“Workers snivel at your feet and you know that life is sweet!”

The other workers are frozen in place hesitant about what to do next. The beat of the song is contagious and one worker is surreptitiously tapping a foot.

Two more robed workers stroll quickly on stage, throw off their robes and continue the song.

“Yes, it’s another day in Paradise”
“When you’re friends with the boss and you know he won’t get cross!”

The first robed worker (minus the robe) continues on.

“In my Paradise, everyone thinks I’m nice.”
“I have a motivational program to show how good I am.”

A banner above the cubicles unfurls it reads.

Scott Hammond Information Technology
When you have technology troubles call SHIT


In a non-singing voice the singer says “That’s me Scott Hammond, this is my company!”

Continuing in his song, Scott glides around the stage. The two other formerly robed workers have gotten everyone dancing around Scott.

Scott: “And it’s just another day in Paradise”

“Another day in Paradise” reply the workers throwing their hands into the air.

Scott: “Life is grand, when you’re in command”

Workers: “When you’re in command”

Scott: “I answer to no one and life is fun!”

Workers: “Life is fun!”

Scott: “Everyone is happy because they work for me!”

Workers: “We’re happy because we work for you”

As the final words slip from the lips of the workers someone shouts “Not!!” The Scott character stops mid glide and swirls around. “Who said that?” The workers are suddenly sullen. Scott picks up a stray umbrella and begins hitting the workers. The two formerly robed workers are quick to grab escaping workers and push them back towards Scott where they get whacked with the umbrella. Finally, all the workers get past and huddle at their desks in the background. Scott glares angrily at the workers with his two helpers on either side.

Finally, Scott twirls his umbrella with a broad smile and sings one final phrase “It’s just another day in Paradise!!” He contentedly strolls off stage while the two helpers remain clapping profusely. They then turn to the workers and busy themselves reviewing work and scolding the workers.

The curtains slowly fall over the scene.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have a wild imagination, and I mean it in a good way.

I also think you shouldn't hold it back when you're writing : if you feel like swearing, swear, if you want to write something very different from your own background, do it. Like you could write about a striper even if you're a housewife (I'm taking an extreme example here !).

I have fun reading your "another day in Paradise". Keep on writing !;)

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I think I almost died. That was so amusing! The lyrics are a little weak, but for a first shot it's pretty cool! I find it funny because I have been very tempted to beat some fellow co-workers (at the office I used to work at) with some form of stick type object.
Thank you for your comment on my blog. I thought it was a wise decision too. Not only did I feel like I was not ready for a relationship, I didn't feel like any of the guys I know are mature enough for me. Which is good, because they're all older teenagers still, what else is to be expected?
Thank you for stopping by, it's much appreciated!
Adrienne
www.fordsofa.blogspot.com

Angel of Delusion said...

Zhu: Thank you for the encouragement. Write about a striper? Hmmm... Now that's an idea. I feel so liberated!!

Actually, don't anyone get your hopes up. I'm far too modest. But Zhu I do understand your point that I should not restrict my imagination. No matter how wild it is.

Adrienne: I think we all have thoughts about "beating some sense" into people who are particularly frustrating. I guess the difference between those of us not in prison and those who are is that we did not act on the thought.

You are right about the lyrics. They stink. Not one of my talents but I will keep working on it.

Anonymous said...

So, is part II coming soon ? ;)

Angel of Delusion said...

Zhu: It seems you are looking forward to part II. That is a good sign, I guess.

I hope part II is coming very soon, but I have been working overtime lately.

Isn't that ironic!

heavenabove said...

This made my night!